Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Thought 33: For someone like you . . .

After we moved to the Atlanta area in 2006, I ended up having three different surgeries that delayed me looking for a new job, one several weeks before my start date. However, once I got back on my feet and healed, I was off to my adventure at the Carter Center. I have never been more proud to work for an organization. I turned 33 two months after working there and stayed until Megan was born three years later. I was continuing my experience as a fundraiser, but this time I was working with individual supporters. The mission of the organization that President Jimmy Carter started after his presidency is "waging peace, fighting disease, and building hope." I was in the right place. My position did require me to travel about 2-3 days twice a month, which was new to me. I met the most wonderful people in my travels from Los Angeles to Miami to Chicago to New York City (and many small towns in between). I felt like I really made a difference in my time with the organization and miss it many days. I was very honored to have the chance to interact with President and Mrs. Carter and later be able to introduce them to my Bob and my parents. Not many people can say they have square danced with a former President! Please check out the work of the Center as they are making a big impact for people all across the globe (http://www.cartercenter.org). 

As I sit down and write this post, I am enjoying the sweet smell of my pumpkin spice Yankee Candle. I LOVE Fall! Today is the first day of Fall and was my mom's favorite day of the year. It always gives me such a comforting feeling when this day comes each year. She and I shared our love for the Fall and upcoming holiday season. No one loved decorating for a holiday more than my mom!


This week I had a follow up appointment with my nephrologist (kidney doctor). I started seeing him after a bout of severe dehydration in May. My gastroenterologist wanted me to have someone to monitor my kidney function on an ongoing basis since I had elevated levels (the higher the number, the worse off your kidneys are functioning). I face a bout of dehydration that lands me in the emergency room or hospital about every year and a half or so. To make a long story short, my doctor told me that my blood work looked good, "for someone like me." I really like my doctor, but this phrase was not exactly what I wanted to hear. I guess I still hope that my body can return to "normal" functioning. I learned that he likes to see the average person under a 1 for their kidney functioning. I am a 1.3 right now, but "for a person like me," he is happy with that number. Because I lost part of my kidney when I had the cancer removed and I have faced so many episodes of dehydration (due to my Crohn's Disease and illesostomy), my kidneys are not at the same level of functioning as they were before I was sick. So, that's where I am now. I am fine and he is not concerned, because that is a good number for me.

I don't know if others out there have experienced the "for someone like you" experience. As I finished my 20-mile run this past weekend and I head into the last three weeks of my marathon training, I feel like I am in the best shape of my life.  I emphasize my life. I will have to enter my 40s and walk away from this marathon being comfortable with what is good and normal for me. I am missing a couple major organs and do not have a perfectly functioning body, but it works for me, which is what I am going to take away from the "for someone like you" comment. I am so fortunate to be as strong and healthy as I am that I need to embrace the body and mind that I have to take me through the rest of my years. I may have to see multiple doctors every 6 months to make sure that everything is ok, but I am grateful every time that they send me on my way feeling good about my status.

When I really think about my life and where I am, "for someone like me," I am super blessed. My story could have gone another direction, but I am right where I should be and could not be happier with my Bob and my Megan. I am actually very proud of myself. It's not so bad being "someone like me." I have no idea what the future holds for my kidneys or any other part of me. I think issues like my kidneys are the after shock of my Crohn's Disease and other health issues. I will probably be facing these issues for most of my life. My dad has also faced a lot of issues with his kidneys as a result of his Crohn's Disease, but overall, he is a very healthy man. Once again, I would love to follow in his footsteps!

When I think about "someone like me" and what I want others to think of when they think of me, it is not my health challenges or what I have overcome. Our minister at our church has been preaching this month about hospitality. When people think of "someone like me," I want them to think of someone they can always count on, someone that is a really good friend. I want to be the person that people know will always be there. Looking ahead, no matter what I do as a professional or where I live or travel, I want my biggest contribution to be the love I give as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, niece, and friend to be my greatest contributions. I want my family and friends to see my love as unique and true. Because "for someone like me," there is nothing more important.



1 comment:

  1. I know that you are always there for me, Susie. I love you and am here for you!

    ReplyDelete