Friday, March 28, 2014

Thought 16: Next steps . . .

It is time for the sweet sixteen. Literally. How cool is that timing with March Madness! For those that have been following my blog, I am not sure you have noticed, but this beginning paragraph is always where I write about my age that corresponds with whatever number blog it is for the week. So, it is time to write about Susie at 16 years old. As I have said before, birthday parties were so much simpler when I was growing up. For my "sweet sixteen," my parents took me out to dinner at my favorite Italian restaurant with three of my best friends. I had already passed my driving test earlier that day, so they let me drive my friends across the street to the movie theater after dinner. (I wish I could remember what movie we saw.) I was thrilled! My first car was a maroon convertible Volkswagen Rabbit that was passed down to me from my mom. She was then able to get her first of what would be many Jeep Cherokees. I loved my car and thought I was so cool riding around town with the top of the car down. Turning 16 was a fun time for me as I stretched my legs and started learning to be more independent. 

Another milestone was checked off this week . . . I finished the Publix Georgia Half Marathon on Sunday, March 23! It was a great day for a race with temperatures in the 50s and an overcast sky. I was worried it was going to rain, but it held off minus a slight mist the last few miles. My sweet Megan and best buddy accompanied me to the expo two days before the race to pick up my packet and bib number. She was so excited that she was given a new soccer ball and jump rope from Publix as we walked in the door. It was a good idea to have her there to ensure that I had no time to get distracted by all the cool running gear that was being sold there. My favorite part was her running through the halls of the Georgia World Congress Center singing "Let's Go Fly a Kite" at the top of her lungs. Good memory! 


Race day was a lot of fun for me. You never sleep well the night before because you are anticipating that early alarm. I am one of those people that leaves a lot of extra time to get to the airport. I am always so nervous I will miss my flight. Race day is no different. I set my alarm for 4:45 a.m. and followed the advice of the race packet to try and park by 6:00 a.m. The race started at 7:00 a.m. I was in Corral K, so I had to stand around for a little bit before our group started running. It was a beautiful morning, and after surviving the porta-potty line, I was ready to go! I thought I would be more nervous, but I was really ready. I knew I could do this.



The only thing I was worried about was pacing myself and not giving too much of my energy away at the beginning. The course was very hilly, especially toward the latter half of the race. I knew as soon as I made the turn out of Piedmont Park, I would be facing some big hills. If you are from Atlanta, this race makes you proud to be from the metro area and appreciate all it has to offer. I was inspired running by the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial and through some of Atlanta's oldest neighborhoods. Although I was running with a time goal in mind, I did stop to take the picture below with downtown behind me. This picture actually does not do the view justice.


Since this was my second time participating in this race, I thought about where I was the last time I ran and how far I have come in five years. I remembered a lot of the course from that day in March 2009 and the special miles I shared with my dear friend who walked and ran it beside me. We both left a lot of emotion and heartache out on the course that day and it was nice to retrace those steps and feel so good about where I am today (as well as my friend). It is hard to describe how much stronger and happier I am physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually today than I was five years ago. It is really impossible to measure. Although my mom is not with me five years later, she lives in my heart and I feel her all the time, including that burst of wind that came my way around mile 8. Wow I needed it - thanks mom!


My goal for this race was to bring everything I had and give it my absolute best. Check. I was also hoping to beat my personal best half marathon time of 2 hours and 21 minutes (Disney Half Marathon 2013). Check. I finished the race in 2 hours and 19 minutes. I wanted to just enjoy the race and stop looking at my watch. But, after a certain point I ran the calculations in my head and realized that I was on my way to a personal record. It motivated me to keep running, which I did for the whole race, minus stops through water stations and a few stops to stretch my left knee. My struggles came around mile 5 and mile 10, but you push through and get distracted by a song or something you pass and it keeps you going. I brought everything I had to this race and I am now able to say I did my very best. I also finished the race in the top half of my age group and ran the last third of the race faster than the rest of it!

There is nothing better in a race than to be cheered across the finish line by a group of encouraging spectators. I was really getting tired the last mile, but I knew my family was waiting for me in their rain gear at the final turn of the race and I could not wait to see them. I was so emotional to see Bob and Megan and my dad as I turned toward the finish line. I was also glad they didn't have to wait too long for me. It was so fun to see that Bob let Megan wear her butterfly wings over her raincoat. A super sweet moment that I will remember forever. I was especially emotional to see my dad there because I have not had the chance to share much of my running journey with him in person. He was amazed by the experience and became emotional too. It meant the world to me to have them all there and know they were waiting for me at the finish line. 




The way I felt after this race was similar to how I felt after the Hot Chocolate 15K in January - prepared. I have always been over the top sore for other races I have finished because I either did not train well or had an injury that I ignored. I was sore for sure, but nothing unreasonable and my knee held it together well. I was ready for this race and put up a great time for me. I am really proud of myself and proud to show my daughter how important it is to work toward a goal and accomplish it. She has talked about my running and the "balloons" all week. She thinks I won the race, which works for me! I think the winner only beat me by like an hour. Wow!


So, it is now time to look ahead and take my next steps. Finishing this half marathon was another chapter in my journey to October and I am now ready and rested to take on Act III - the Chicago Marathon. Now that I am registered and have taken a few days off this week to rest, it is time to set my game plan and get back to running. I did get out once this week for a short run, which felt tight but good. As I started running, I enjoyed noticing that these were my first training steps toward my marathon training. It is a nice feeling to know that I can put my full attention on the marathon now, outside of being a mom, a wife, a friend, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, and whatever else life brings me! I am so ready for this challenge and thank you for going along on the ride with me.

We have decided to take Megan down to see Mickey for a few days during her spring break. I wished someone had asked me after the race, "So, now that you have finished the Publix Georgia Half Marathon, what are you going to do?" I would shout loud and proud, "I am going to Disney World!!!"

Check out my personal fundraising page for the Les Turner ALS Foundation - http://ow.ly/ukTos

No comments:

Post a Comment