Friday, March 21, 2014

Thought 15: Ready or not . . .

High school was a pretty fun time for me. I had a small group of good friends through my different extracurricular activities, including swim team and newspaper staff. My dad was my first influence in writing, but my days on the newspaper staff with my favorite teacher, Mrs. Judy Steverson, was where I learned to write. She would sit down with me at the wooden table and go word by word and line by line with me through my article. I am forever grateful to her for teaching me how to put my thoughts into words. I also loved my high school chorus classes, and although I did not have the greatest singing voice, I loved the experience. One of my favorite parts was being student director of The Music Man during the summer after my sophomore year. I did get a little distracted sometimes as a 15-year-old girl, but I can't share everything, right?



This was the week. I am officially registered for the 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon. I will be running a marathon in less than 7 months. Yes, me, Susie Hubbard, will be a marathon runner. These words both terrify and thrill me. When I pressed the submit button, I was so relieved to make it official. I began to think about all the training and running I would be doing in the coming months. I am terrified, but in a good way I think. 

Since I decided to join the Les Turner ALS Foundation team, I was given a guaranteed entry. This is the first year that non-charity runners will have to go through a lottery system to participate in the race. In just two weeks, I have raised over $1,000, with some money coming in by check. Thank you to all my friends that have given me that initial support. My goal is $4,000 by my 40th birthday, but I would love to surpass it!

It is amazing how my running has already taken on a new meaning in just the short time since making this commitment. I was hit hard with some news in the days after I signed on with the foundation when I heard from my old doctor that performed every surgery I had when I lived in Michigan from 2001 to 2007. I shared my blog with him since he has been such a big influence on my journey, essentially saving my life. He wrote me to tell me he has ALS and was diagnosed two years ago. I felt like someone had just punched me in the stomach. Bob and I are so upset by this news. Now my running for the ALS foundation means even more, if that was even possible. 

I had a heart to heart with my running shoes this week. I wanted to make sure they could hang in there with me. I told them that they had to last me until at least July. I feel like we have an understanding now and they are ready to ramp up our training and hit the pavement. I am still figuring out which training plan I will use and I need to find a group to run with on the weekends, but I hope to have all of that worked out soon. I have not used a training plan up to now, but I will follow one religiously for the marathon. I want to be as prepared as I can be for my 40th birthday - race day!

But, before I get too excited and anxious about my marathon training, I have one more race to finish - the Publix Georgia Marathon. On this Sunday, March 23, I will be taking on the hills of Atlanta again to complete 13.1 miles through some of the city's best landmarks and neighborhoods, including the Martin Luther King site, The Carter Center (my old employer), Virginia Highlands, Midtown, and Georgia Tech. The race starts and ends at Centennial Park. As I have written before, I finished this race one other time, mostly walking the whole way due to lack of training. I had to cancel my participation last year due to an injury. Here's hoping my left knee hangs in there because I want to finish this race strong on Sunday. I'm not sure it will be my personal best, but it will be my very best on March 23. I had a great last training run and sprinted up the hill that I once had trouble even getting up 6 months ago. Finishing this race will give me the satisfaction that I came back and raced again and gave my very best. I want to have fun and check this milestone off on my journey to Chicago!

When I started this blog last October, I had three races and a lot of miles in front of me. I was overwhelmed by the thought of a year of training and seeing it slowly increase over that time. I now stand 5 months later, with almost two races behind me. I can visualize myself finishing each race and each mile it will take to get me there. The 26.2 is daunting, but I can stand here today and feel good knowing that I can do it. The longest run I have completed this go around is 12.2 miles, but soon that will be 13.1. The time is here to really show what I have inside and out, so, ready or not, here I go!

Check out my personal fundraising page for the Les Turner ALS Foundation - http://ow.ly/ukTos

2 comments: