Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Thought 35: A word of thanks . . .

At 35 years old, I faced my lowest low and highest high in the same 12 months. I struggled so much with the loss of my mother. I still do. Three weeks after she passed, I had a full hysterectomy, which was a delayed procedure with everything going on surrounding her passing. I came to terms with it pretty well, actually. I think I was just in a fog. The day my mom passed away, I had the chance to tell her that Bob and I had decided to move forward with adoption. Later that year, after my 35th birthday, Bob and I met with The Adoption Consultancy and were on our way to becoming parents! I think going through that process was therapeutic for me in dealing with the loss of my mom, although it was so hard to not have her there to experience it with us. We spent January to May of the next year getting approved and completing all of the paperwork. I will never forget standing in Kinkos for four hours laminating numerous copies of our 12-page adoption profile page by page. Bob and I sat together for many hours in Panera Bread with our laptops working on forms. We were approved in May 2010, and just two months later, we received the phone call that changed our lives. Megan was on her way! We will always believe that a special angel named "Meme" sent her to us. 

I came across this picture of myself yesterday when going through some old pictures. This was my first swimming ribbon at my first swim meet. My mom said I waved and smiled the whole time. Essentially, this was my first athletic competition! I finished my last two miles this morning of marathon training. I am now ready to finish packing, head to Chicago, and lace up for the most challenging athletic competition I will face in my lifetime.



"I Run Like a Girl. Try to Keep Up" -- Thank you my Allison

"Limitless" -- Thank you my Leslie

"I Run to be Fierce" -- Thank you my Jean

I embarked on this journey to the Chicago Marathon over a year ago. I registered in March and signed up with the Les Turner ALS Foundation at the same time. I will never forget walking with a dear friend on a North Carolina beach in August 2013, and sharing my idea of writing this blog and running this race. It feels so, so good to have done exactly what I set out to do. But, I sure did not do it alone. I feel like I must express my thanks now, because it is the journey that brings me so much gratitude. 

It is impossible to single people out as I know I would miss someone. I am thankful for the encouragement, love, inspiration, and motivation. I am thankful for both the words and actions. I am thankful for motivational quotes before every long run. I am thankful for the high fives. I am thankful for those that have run before me and next to me. I am thankful for the stories of those I don't even know but feel so connected to by hearing about their journey. I am thankful for those that took care of Megan while I needed to run, including playdates with friends and a dedicated husband who gave me every Saturday morning. I am thankful for surprise parties at ballet classes. I am so very thankful for every dollar and every person that contributed to my personal fundraising goal for the Les Turner ALS Foundation. You should all feel so good about where your dollars are going and the amazing work that will be done with them. I am thankful for "Super Mommies." I am thankful for siblings that have not only provided me "courage," but also the keys to making this experience a success. I am thankful to all the roads I have traveled in multiple states - Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, and Michigan. I am thankful for family and friends that supported me every step of the way. I am thankful for all the posts, texts, likes and messages. I could feel the love behind all of them. I am thankful for solutions to obstacles. I am thankful for pink socks and a niece that inspires me to step out. I am thankful for a safe journey. I am thankful for a body that stayed strong and healthy. I am thankful for all the "moms" in my life. I am thankful for inspiring running shirts from dear friends. I am thankful for the sharing of music. I am thankful for the response from my blog and for all of those that shared my words with others. I am thankful if I was even able to touch one heart or provide some hope.    


Some people like to making a running mix and listen to it in a particular order, with timing songs to play at particular points in the race. I actually love the unexpected and always put my mix on shuffle every time I run. I enjoy hearing the songs in a different order each time. I like to imagine that some songs play just when I need them, especially when many of my songs remind me of particular people. I read some great tips about the Chicago Marathon this week. One of the suggestions was to take the hardest miles, the last 6.2, and dedicate each mile to certain people as a way to stay motivated. I have decided to do this and want to share it here. The first 20 miles are for my mom, who I dedicate this race to, and I hope to honor and make proud every day. Mile 21 will be dedicated to my dad, the person that instilled in me the drive, compassion, and gumption to make this goal possible. Mile 22 will be dedicated to Bob's parents, who have always treated me like their own daughter and been there for me in every way the past 20 years. Mile 23 will be dedicated to my brothers, Mike and Steve, who are a big part of the person I have grown up to be and I know would be by my side whenever I need them. Mile 24 will be dedicated to my Hubbard Sibs, who inspired me to run in the first place and are there for me every day with love, encouragement, and inspiration. Mile 25 will be dedicated to my Bob. There are not enough words for what he means to me or what he has brought to my life. He is my everything and I will love him with my whole heart forever. Mile 26 will be for me and how proud I am of myself for taking on this challenge. And the final .2 miles will be dedicated to my Megan. The distance may be small, but it will give me the biggest smile. Chicago or bust!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susie-
    Jean shared your blog with me and I wanted to tell you that what you are doing is incredible. I wish you the best of luck on Sunday. You and your family should be so proud of this tremendous accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can do it! I am so proud of you! We send all our love!

    ReplyDelete